Storm Preparedness & Safety Tips
Wet weather is in store for the Bay Area through the evening. It’s important to know what to do to be safe and prepared in the event this healthy dose of rain causes any hazardous situations. Here’s a run-down of the basics to storm prep and safety:
- Check your supplies and make sure you have what you need on hand: http://www.sf72.org/supplies.
- Check on friends and family who may need assistance during the storm.
- Remove debris and sweep up any leaves from sidewalks and storm drains to keep them from getting clogged.
- Call 3-1-1 (or use the SF311 app) for non-life threatening storm issues. Call 9-1-1 for emergencies: www.maketherightcallsf.org
- Sign up for AlertSF by texting your Zip Code to 888-777 for real-time emergency alerts.
- Sandbags are available at 2323 Cesar Chavez St, daily, from 7:00 AM to 4:00 PM.
- If the power goes out, unplug and turnoff appliances. Leave one light on to signal when power is restored.
- Avoid using candles because they are a fire hazard, especially in San Francisco due to so many wood buildings.
- Have flashlights and extra batteries on hand.
- Stay away from flooded areas and downed power lines whether in car or on foot.
- Do not touch electrical equipment if you are wet or standing in water.
- Stay informed: tune-in to KCBS (740 AM or 106.9 FM), local TV channels, or social media (@sf_emergency; @sfwater; @sfpublicworks; @sfdph ) for emergency advisories and instructions.
- Please share this information with your family and friends.